Trump: The Head-In-The-Sand Idiot
FACT: The world’s supply of fresh water is in trouble as mountain ice vanishes.
On 11/23/18, the day after Thanksgiving, the federal government released a long-awaited climate change report with an unmistakable message: The effects of climate change, including deadly wildfires, increasingly debilitating hurricanes and heat waves, are already battering the United States, and the danger of more such catastrophes is worsening. Such climate changes pose a severe threat to Americans’ health and pocketbooks, as well as to the country’s infrastructure and natural resources. Yet the bumbling idiot in the White House, when asked specifically about climate change being a factor in the recent California fires, said, “land management and forest management is really what you mean.”
On 11/26/18, when asked about the core conclusion of the scientific report issued by his own administration: that climate change will batter the nation’s economy, Trump said, “I don’t believe it.” During the entire time that Trump’s been in office, he’s denied the scientific reality of climate change and taken aggressive steps that will increase emissions of heat-trapping greenhouse gases — despite unequivocal scientific evidence that those pollutants are warming the planet to dangerous levels. The top of the world is now warming at twice the average global rate.
Trump’s blatant ignorance is startling. After his visit to the California wildfires, when asked whether witnessing the devastation firsthand had made him change his mind about climate change, Trump said, “No, no. I have a strong opinion. I want a great climate.” Later, he added, “Is it happening? Things are changing. And I think, most importantly, we’re doing things about. We’re going to make it better. We’re going to make it a lot better. And it’s going to happen as quickly as it can possibly happen.” Incidentally, Trump couldn’t even get the name of the devastated town he visited correct! He kept calling it “Pleasure” until he was corrected and told the town was named “Paradise.”
So what exactly is Trump’s plan? He has no plan. He’s nothing but a bullshit artist.
Endorsed by numerous federal agencies, including NASA, NOAA, the Department of Defense, and 10 other federal scientific agencies, the climate change report contradicted nearly every position taken on the issue by Trump. Trump is a die-hard, climate change denier.
- Western mountain ranges are retaining much less snow throughout the year.
- Coral reefs in the Caribbean, Hawaii, Florida and the U.S. Pacific territories are experiencing severe bleaching events.
- Wildfires are devouring ever-larger areas during longer fire seasons.
- Alaska is seeing a staggering rate of warming that has upended its ecosystems, from once ice-clogged coastlines to increasingly thawing permafrost tundras.
- The continental U.S. already is 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit warmer than it was 100 years ago.
- The seas surrounding the U.S. are, on average, nine inches higher and being racked by far worse heat waves than the nation experienced only 50 years ago.
In the meantime, Trump:
- Rolled back several Obama-era environmental regulations.
- Incentivized the production of fossil fuels, and has been reported to be ready to nominate ex-coal lobbyist, Andrew Wheeler, as the permanent head of the Environmental Protection Agency.
- Plans to withdraw the U.S. from the Paris climate accord.
- Questioned the science of climate change (in October, 2018) on CBS’s “60 Minutes,” saying, “I don’t know that it’s man-made” and that the warming trend “could very well go back.”
It’s time to oust this idiot and elect a forward thinking LEADER who can listen to reason and guide this nation effectively.