The Fake, Pretend President
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing!” (freshman Representative John McCain, in 1984, at a town hall meeting in Arizona)
The very best action all American citizens can now take for the future of democracy in our country is to stand up against and resist anything that the semiliterate, childlike, twittering, misogynistic, dysfunctional, malignant narcissist in the Oval Office has to say. Reduce Trump to what he truly is: a meaningless and unimportant non-entity in America’s history. In short, Trump is irrelevant. We don’t need to normalize deviant behavior any longer. Trump’s actions “degrade what it means to be an American.” We believe in tolerance, but we don’t believe in what Trump stands for and teaches, namely mainstreaming hate, bigotry, bullying, outright lying, skewing the facts and casual misogyny. Additionally, Trump’s continuous, incendiary, divisive rhetoric has contributed to a rise in extremism, providing a green light for violence in America. The tone is set by example from the top down — shit flows downhill. It is Trump himself who is “the Enemy of the People,” and not the free press.
Trump is undeniably an inexcusable embarrassment to all thinking Americans; and every citizen must now become an insurgent, rising up against this unchecked, adolescent and tyrannical megalomaniac who uses Mein Kampf as his playbook, lives in his own twisted reality of alternative facts, exaggerations and falsehoods where he lies pathologically, discards diplomacy, insults world leaders, encourages white supremacy, supports sexual abusers, exploits every situation to aggrandize himself, endlessly brags about his self-professed accomplishments but doesn’t know the Constitution, undermines the rule of law and the established institutions of democracy, facilitates the erosion of American democratic standards, and contributes to the decline of global freedom. His mouth with its combative tone brings great shame to the American people. And even more shamefully, in his seventies, he doesn’t even know the words to the national anthem. This isn’t fake news, folks, but rather a “fake president.” You can put lipstick on a pig, but it’s still a pig. You can’t superficially improve someone who’s deficient.
Speak Out Loudly to Resist Incompetence
So what do we do now until we indict, impeach and then oust Trump? As Khizr Khan, the Gold Star father who gave the impassioned speech at the 2016 Democratic National Convention, said, “All of us patriots need to remain standing in unity, support one another, and continue to speak louder” against Trump; for over 200 years ago Edmund Burke wrote, “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Just as there were both “bystanders” and “upstanders” during the Nazi holocaust, there were significant consequences of choosing to act, or not to act, in the face of injustice. Nobel prize winning scientist Albert Einstein declared, “The world is too dangerous to live in — not because of the people who do evil, but because of the people who sit and let it happen.” We all need to continue to resist and speak up loudly against incompetent leadership, and to work to support and elect candidates who understand and support our values and democracy so that the country doesn’t make an absolutely terrible mistake like Trump ever again. Trump is nothing more than a “has been” reality show host of a show where the ratings kept dropping each year he was the host. The only place Trump’s ratings didn’t drop were inside his own twisted, alternative reality.
- On 5/8/18, Rep. Robert Pittenger (R-N.C.), who was closely aligned with Trump, became the first incumbent member of Congress to be knocked out in a primary in 2018.
- On 5/1/18, in the fourth and final Florida bellwether election since 2016, Democrat Javier Fernandez beat his Republican opponent despite being outspent 2-1 in a highly contested race. Let the Blue Wave continue!
- On 4/24/18, Democrat Steve Stern flipped a New York Assembly seat, winning a seat that’s been in Republican hands for FORTY YEARS!
- On 3/19/18, Charles Djou, a former Republican congressman from Hawaii and a lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Army reserve, said he’s leaving the Republican party because of Trump’s “childish behavior” and the failure of fellow Republicans to stand up to him. He said that too many Republicans either applaud Trump’s tirades or greet them with silent acceptance.
- On 3/13/18, Democrat Conor Lamb defeated Rick Saccone in Republican-held western Pennsylvania, in spite of Trump personally stumping for Saccone there the week before. This was a significant gut-punch to Trump’s administration and is just a preview of what’s to come in primaries around the country as a result of citizens speaking out loudly against Trump and what he stands for. The “Blue Wave” is coming!
- The tide has already started turning against Trump with the special election in Missouri on 2/6/18, in which Democrat Mike Revis flipped a House seat in a district that Trump won by 28 points in 2016.
- On 2/13/18, Democrat Margaret Good won the special election in Florida with 52% of the vote.
- On 2/20/18, Democrat Linda Belcher flipped a Kentucky state legislature seat in that state’s special election with a 68-32 victory!
- Wisconsin governor Scott Walker has decided to leave a number of formerly Republican-held seats vacant rather than schedule special elections his party might lose! The Republicans are already running scared, folks!
- As of 3/3/18, early voting turnout in Texas ahead of the 3/6/18 primary (the nation’s first 2018 mid-term primary) has hit an all-time high for a non-presidential election year with a 49.5% increase in early voting turnout over 2014! Democrats are expecting to seize on Trump’s low approval ratings and tumultuous first year in office to drive voter turnout.
Trump = Evil Incarnate = Little Hitler!
Trump Humiliates and Divides America
Highly respected Navy Admiral William H. McRaven, who oversaw the 2011 mission to kill Osama Bin Laden, said that Trump has “humiliated” and “divided” America. McRaven is a former Navy SEAL and commander of the Joint Special Operations Command. He forgot more about serving and honoring America than Trump ever learned.
impeach: to charge with a crime or misconduct; specifically: to charge (a public official) before a competent tribunal (as the U.S. Senate) with misconduct in office.
indict: to charge with a crime by the finding or presentment of a grand jury in due form of law.
Democrats should be building the legal case for Trump’s indictment.
All the talk is about “impeaching” Trump, but according to Bill Scher, co-host of the Bloggingheads.tv show “The DMZ,” impeachment is a dead end because the congressional jury pool is tainted. There’s only one mechanism that has any chance of working; it’s indictment. Why? If the Democrats took a complete sweep of every 2018 Senate contest, they’d reach 58 seats, still leaving them nine short of a two-thirds supermajority needed for impeachment. So more than nine Republicans would be needed to convict. The chance of that happening is slim to none, especially since the only Republican senators who have vocally criticized Trump are not running for reelection in 2018. So impeachment talk is nothing more than talk.
Lesson Learned: It’s much easier to elect the incompetent than it is to get rid of the incompetent once elected.
Trump’s consistent and predictable pattern is to DENY, DEFLECT, DENIGRATE, DIVIDE and DESTROY. He is DIVISIVE, DICTATORIAL, DEMEANING, DYSFUNCTIONAL, a DRAFT DODGER and DISTURBINGLY DISGUSTING. He would rather build walls than bridges between people. He thrives on being contentious and then disallows opposing opinions as being fake news or lies. He’s a malignant narcissist. The country needs to indict and then oust this vindictive and incompetent schoolyard bully now and inaugurate an authentic president, this time one who didn’t lose the popular vote, who will focus on the agenda of the American people instead of his own personal gain and that of his fellow millionaires. Trump is the least popular president at this point in his term since surveys began more than 70 years ago. A majority of the American people disapprove of his handling of nearly every event and policy priority during his first year (his approval rating hovered consistently at a pathetically low 37%). We’re living under the worst president in all of American history; one who wants to be a tyrannical “king” in a country where there’s no place for a king. In Trump’s own words to our troops on 11/4/17, “History has proven over and over that the road of the tyrant is a steady march towards poverty, suffering and servitude.”
These are real facts about a fake president. We wish it weren’t so, but it is. If he isn’t already indicted before then, we’re anxiously looking forward to volunteering in any and every way possible to defeat Trump and his like-minded Republican cronies, and to witness the overwhelming waves of Democratic victories in the 2020 elections as a result of this fake president’s gross incompetence.
Very Good News on the Horizon!
President Obama has announced that he’s returning to the campaign trail to add his support for Democratic candidates! The reality show host president is no match for President Obama, who was a professor of Constitutional law and editor of the Harvard Law Review, while Trump has proven with his remarks about the nonexistent Article XII of the Constitution that he’s not even familiar with the Constitution that he’s in office to defend!
On Building Walls
While Trump is busy figuring out how to build walls and barriers between people, the more learned and significant people in the world understand the benefit of building bridges instead.
- “We build too many walls and not enough bridges.” (Sir Isaac Newton)
- Asked about Donald Trump, Pope Francis said a person who thinks only about building walls and not building bridges is not Christian, a remark that Trump described as disgraceful.
- “I am not a theologian, nor am I a priest or a minister, but I think building walls is fundamentally contrary to what made this country what it is. We’re a pluralistic society in its functions.” (Joe Biden)
- “We should be breaking down barriers, not building walls.” (Ted Cruz)
- “For years I was so busy building walls I did not see I was imprisoning myself behind them, and did not recognize this pattern as being addiction. My addictive thinking and behavior became the bars of my cell.” (Lee L. Jampolsky, recognized leader in psychology and human potential)
- “None of the threats to the global commons will be solved by building walls.” (James G. Stavridis, retired U.S. Navy admiral and the current dean of the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University)
- “We have to build Bridges of Peace instead of building Walls of Wars.” (Widad Akrawi, Ph.D., health expert and human rights activist)
- “A globalized world is by now a familiar fact of life. Building walls or moats may sound appealing, but the future belongs to those who tend to their people and then boldly engage the rest of the world, near and far.” (Jon Meacham, executive editor and executive vice president at Random House)